TS and Private Pilots License
j***@gmail.com
2016-04-12 18:58:46 UTC
So did you ever get confirmation on this? I too want to get my recreational Pilots License but have Tourettes as well.
I have TS and recently decided to get my private pilot's license. I went
in today to get my medical certification and was told that because of TS,
there is a very good chance that I will be denied medical clearance to fly.
I'm 36 years old and was diagnosed with TS when I was 15. I'm very lucky that
my symptoms are mild and consist mainly of small, often unnoticeable, ticks
in my hands, eys, and neck. I find that when I concentrate on a task
(such as flying, driving, playing piano, etc.) that my ticks disappear almost
entirely. I took medication for a brief period when I was first diagnosed,
but quickly learned that for me, the side-effects of the medication were
worse than the TS. For the last 20 years I have not used medication nor had
any medical treatment for TS.
I'm interested in hearing if there are any other pilots out there that have TS.
If so, I'd like to understand what issues you have faced regarding medical
certification and how you have addressed them.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Farley
f***@gmail.com
I have TS and was diagnosed when I was 42 in 1992. I obtained my private pilots license, Commercial license and Flight Instructors license all before I was diagnosed with Tourette. I did not tic when I took my certification rides with FAA designees and with FAA check pilots. I had met another man with TS at one of the Tourette Support group meeting who was able to obtain his pilots license with a Tourette diagnosis. There are airline pilots who have noticable eye tics who are flying passengers and there is no problem. Fred Enisz
m***@gmail.com
2016-09-25 01:51:39 UTC
Interested to hear the results above :-) talk about a ray of hope! Want my class 3 medical and my wings!